The other day was a rainy, dreary day. Kind of one of those days that you love because you can just stay in, watch Harry Potter, and drink coffee. Now, I love my cloudy days, but I thought I would brighten it up with some lemon muffins.
These mornin’-lovin’ jumbo muffins are full of fresh lemon flavor, topped with sweet streusel, and sweet and tangy lemon glaze that brings it all together!
I just bought myself a jumbo muffin pan a couple weeks ago, so of course I couldn’t wait to try it out. I have never made lemon muffins before, actually I have limited muffin experience to begin with. That is why I’m referring to these as “#1” because they are not quite there yet, but still delicious. It’ll take me a few times I think, so enjoy my muffin adventure!
I cannot take full credit for any of this, just so you know. Since I have never made lemon muffins, I needed some direction, so this recipe is based off the one found here: http://www.simplyscratch.com/2011/07/jumbo-lemon-coffee-cake-muffins.html.
I have grown very fond of the lemon flavor over the last year or so. I’m always the one that goes crazy for chocolate– I have a whole recipe book of chocolate things for goodness sake! But when done right, lemon things are pretty high up on the list for me.
Good Mornin’ Lemon Muffins #1
1 1/2 c. + 4 T. flour
1/2 c. + 4 T. brown sugar
1/2 c. + 4 T. salted butter, chilled
2 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 t. Kosher salt
1/2 unsalted butter, softened
1 c. sugar
Lemon zest of 1-2 lemons (depending on how much lemon you want)
Lemon juice of 1/2 a lemon
2 large eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 c. buttermilk (1 T. lemon juice or vinegar, then add milk until measures 1 cup)
For Lemon Glaze
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
Lemon juice of 1/2 a lemon
– Start the streusel topping: In a food processor, mix the flour, brown sugar, salt, and butter until you get crumbles.
– Reserve in fridge until later…
– Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 6 ct. Jumbo muffin (or 12 ct. regular sized) tin.
– Now onto the muffins: In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and powder, and salt. Set aside.
– With a mixer, cream butter and sugar until creamy.
– Add lemon flavors; zest and juice.
– Mix in eggs one at a time.
– Add vanilla and mix.
– Add buttermilk alternately with flour mixture, scrape bowl, and give a final stir.
– Fill muffin cups evenly and generously sprinkle streusel over batter.
– Bake 30-40 minutes **(Depends on your oven and weather and such. The recipe I adapted from, said 45-55 minutes and it definitely did not take that long for me, so just be aware, please!)**
– Allow to cool for about 5 minutes and remove the muffins for further cooling.
– Lemon Glaze Time: Simply mix powdered sugar and fresh lemon juice until desired consistency. I typically like a glaze with more substance and thickness, but it is purely up to you!
– Glaze muffins when completely cooled and store in airtight container.
– Lastly, devour with a cup of milk, tea, or, if you’re like me, coffee! And enjoy.