This chocolate eclair cake is quick, easy, and of course delicious. If it wasn’t delicious I wouldn’t be doing this right now. It starts with layers of graham crackers and a light and fluffy pudding mix, covered with a to-die-for chocolate topping. I’m not kidding. If my mom wasn’t here, I would probably double the chocolate 😉
My family loves, I mean loves, this cake. Whenever we’re in charge of dessert, it is almost always this one that is requested. Perfect for Spring and Easter or Summer, especially!
Now in order to have the optimal chocolate eclair cake experience, allow for it to sit a night or two. This way, for lack of better words, the flavors will develop and the graham crackers will not be all crunchy, but instead delightfully soft!
My mom’s beautiful recipe card made from an index card and a typewriter…can you tell it gets a lot of use?
Does anyone else think about Shrek when you see layers?
Chocolate Eclair Cake
1 box of graham crackers
2 small pkgs. instant vanilla pudding
3 1/2 c. milk
10-12 oz. cool whip
For Chocolate Topping:
4 oz. German Sweet Chocolate
3 T. butter
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
3 T. milk
2 t. light corn syrup
1 t. vanilla
– For Cake: Line bottom of 9X13-inch pan with unbroken graham crackers.
– In a large bowl, combine the pudding mix with 3 1/2 cups of milk; add cool whip and mix well!
– Pour half of pudding mixture over graham crackers.
– Add another layer of graham crackers.
– Pour rest of pudding mixture over graham crackers.
– Add final layer of graham crackers.
– For Chocolate Topping: Melt German sweet chocolate with butter in large pan.
– Add the powdered sugar, milk, corn syrup, and vanilla; mix well.
– Pour over cake while it is still warm.
– Cover and refrigerate.