Salty and sweet; chocolate and caramel. Oh, and don’t forget coffee! Just to name a few of life’s simple pleasures. These cupcakes come from simple recipes with a few of my own tweaks. They are not perfect, but I think they have everything required to be a cupcake. Oh the pressures of being a cupcake.
Thanks to a morning of inspiration and some free time, I give you Salted Caramel Mocha Cupcakes: a chocolate cupcake with a splash of fresh coffee, generously frosted with an, almost fudge-like, salty caramel frosting!
A few more words:
– First of all, the cupcake recipe is based off the original Hershey’s chocolate cake. That recipe calls for boiling water stirred in at the very end, but I used hot coffee instead. I have heard that coffee enhances chocolate.
– Keep in mind I halved the recipe here, since I only wanted a dozen cupcakes. That’s why it says “a little less than half a cup”. If you’re really savvy, convert by weight which is way more accurate.
– The frosting needs some more work, but it is a basic caramel frosting. I added somewhere between a pinch and a dash of coarse salt (very descriptive, I know).
– The frosting was also incredibly hard to pipe. This is where the “fudge-like” part comes in. My hand hurt the rest of the day!
– Feel free to use your own frosting recipes, while I figure this one out! I just wanted to share!
And just because I care about the well-being of my family, I took it upon myself to warn them of the sugar coma that might await them.
Salted Caramel Mocha Cupcakes
Ingredients for Cupcakes
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. + a little less than 1/2 c. all-purpose flour or cake flour
A little less than 1/2 c. cocoa
1/2 t. + 1/4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. + 1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. oil
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. hot coffee
Directions for Cupcakes
– Preheat oven to 350 and line with paper cups or grease a 12-count muffin tin.
– Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.
– Add egg, milk, oil, and vanilla and beat for 2 minutes until silky smooth.
– Stir in your hot (delicious) coffee (batter will be very thin).
– Fill your muffin tin about 3/4 full. I used a 1/3 cup measure for each cupcake and it was perfect!
– Bake 20-23 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Ingredients for Salted Caramel Frosting
1/2 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. milk
pinch of coarse salt
powdered sugar and milk as desired (I used around 3 to 4 cups of sugar and a splash of milk)
Directions for Salted Caramel Frosting
– Melt butter over low heat.
– Add brown sugar and heat over low heat for a couple minutes, stirring constantly.
– Add milk and bring to a boil, while stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
– Transfer to mixing bowl and add salt.
– Mix in powdered sugar until desired consistency and then milk.